Friday, December 22, 2006

A Bit More Anger Management

I was reading some other posts on a forum and some people were very angry especially as they had some pretty radical surgery. I can understand that. I imagine though that their anger will be tempered somewhat later on, once the pain and discomfort and inconvenience (in more ways than one) have subsided. The reason it will subside is that it really is a lot better than being dead. It really is.

I've said that cancers are survivable and that huge steps now make it possible to survive things like this and so I am being bought time and so is everyone else who has treatment whether radical or not. I think when you work that out then you can control the anger from the absolute rage you get very early on to the stupid stuff I was banging on about earlier.

The trouble with much of this is you probably have to come to terms with this on your own unless you happen to be able to talk to someone who has gone through something similar.. I suppose I am lucky that I know two guys who have both had Prostate Cancer recently and their experiences whilst not exactly the same are good to get a bounce off and to share emotions. Both of them are now cured which is great news. As I said before mine doesn't go away that easily but is able to be managed and maintained.

I could occasionally do with a sound deadened room and a box full of crockery to smash :-)

2 comments:

Lynne said...

I just discovered your blog through "Sharing our Days." Yours is an interesting format, with your frequent posts.

I have gallbladder cancer, so my experience is different, although I recognize many of the feelings you express.

I read your post about statistics and puzzling through predictions, what's "normal" and all. I have had similar struggles with information about my disease. I was wondering if you've read the Stephen Jay Gould article about those statistics. You can read it through a link on the Johns Hopkins website, at http://cancerguide.org/median_not_msg.html

He has some good things to say for those of us wondering about our futures! Good luck to you as you wait to see if the treatment has worked.

Lynne

A Dived Ref said...

Lynne,

Thanks for the link and for your wishes and I wish you well in your treatment too. A great site about statistics. I had been to the site but not got down that far. Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year