Friday, December 15, 2006

Learning a New Language

Yes - it IS going to be a long night - I am wide awake at 2 am. I just had a chat online with a buddy in San Francisco and it occurred to me that there is a whole new language to learn when it comes to bladder cancer. I was looking on the bladder cafe web site and the contributors regularly rattle on about grade 2 tumours, invasive, TCC etc. It takes a while to get exactly what everyone is talking about.

Given a little time it is easy. TURBT sometimes TUR = Transurethral Resection of a bladder tumour. CIS = Carcinoma in Situ and so on.

I will get around to pulling together a glossary of terms as otherwise no one is going to know what is going on. The problem also is that a TURBT is specific to the subject although you can get something similar in Prostate Cancers. So when most people would have heard of a tonsillectomy you really need to find your way around a bladder and all the various stages to understand what is going on. I'll try not to use any buzz words but if I do I will ensure that I explain what they are before hand.

No comments: