Monday, December 11, 2006

Tell everyone or keep it to yourself?

My guardian angel - before I was diagnosed told me to tell everyone that I was ill and to share it around as much as possible (or words to that effect). I think that, for me, that has worked and this blog has been great. The blog is good because other people can look too and perhaps get some crumb of comfort from the fact that it isn't "just them".

I'd probably be the sort of person who would share all of this stuff anyway although I hadn't really thought about blogging it, sending out e-mails on my condition would be normal.

I think it would be very bad for me to have just locked myself in and become quiet and non communicative about it. I can't see that it helps a lot as the only opinion you can seek is your own and frankly I still don't trust, even my analytical and intuitive, bits of my brain to come up with all the right or even sensible answers. The phrase "you need to get out more" applies in spades :-)

The only downside I've noticed is the look of concern on some people's faces when they meet you and perhaps I'm not communicating enough about the good things or perhaps I'm not continually reinforcing the message about how well I feel etc.

To answer my own question - do what my guardian angel said and tell as many people as you can and it will make you feel a lot better than bottling it up and keeping it to yourself and your overactive imagination.

No comments: