Monday, December 11, 2006

Thoughts on the BCG Treatment

I found the whole set of treatments manageable. The first treatment is a bit of a non event apart from the waiting and the worry about the catheter which really isn't that bad. I'd rather do this than have a blood test and I'd rather have a blood test than a cannula shoved in me so it isn't that bad and I am squeamish.

The lack of side effects at week one was an issue as the side effects at week two were unbelievable, like getting hit by a truck as I tell anyone who cares to listen. The books and even the nurse doesn't really tell you it is like that. My Consultant did. I was told not to drive or fly or attempt anything too ambitious and yet I feel that whilst that applied to the second week, ever since I have been well enough to travel albeit I wouldn't want to go more than say 30 minutes at most from home just in case I needed to find a toilet. Towards the end of each week you get progressively better at this. I have my treatments on Monday that wipes out most of Monday and generally Tuesday morning as well although I have been up and about since the third treatment on a Tuesday I still have minor side effects for the remainder of that day which of course gradually get less and less.

By weeks four and five I was getting into the swing of things and you get into a routine. Shower an hour before, set up the bedroom and bathroom for the coming turning and side effects etc. These little rituals also help to bring about a bit of calm. To start with my whole Monday was wiped out, all I could do on the PC was to play games and let those eat away the time. Now I can do work and add to this blog and do other things because I don't have to worry so much about it. It is still a little concerning of course but it is manageable and soon will be the last one and I can forget about them.

I hope it has worked - I really do. Someone posted (elsewhere) that the level of side effects does not affect how the BCG has worked. Feeling and seeing what it did do - it has done something - it is just the hope that it has done what the Consultant has set out to achieve. If we can get this manageable and able to maintain it I will have got the very best I could have hoped for.

No comments: