Wednesday, December 13, 2006

What if I am one of the 30%

The BCG treatment and maintenance appears (depending on where and what you read) to have a 70% chance of working. If you end up being one of the 30% then there is a 50% chance that the next go with BCG will sort it. They are pretty good odds. Of course if you are one of the 30% then you only have a 50/50 at the next go but even so, they aren't bad odds if you think about it. It's not as if you are doing the lottery at about 47,000,000 to 1!

Mind you, I still don't know how I'd feel to be one of the 30%. The best thing would be to be seeing the Urology Nurse again soon after the biopsies are done and be on the Maintenance course. You'd have thought that wouldn't be so but if you get the nod you then go for 3, 6, 12, 18, 24 & 36 month instillations of BCG (you get a course of 3 each time not the 6 like I've just had). Not sure if these go all the way out to year 10 like the US Dr. Lamm protocol. I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

No comments: