Thursday, December 14, 2006

Lunch with a survivor

It was an interesting lunch time today. A friend of mine who has had his Prostate removed at about the same time I was diagnosed is (of course) now cured albeit, he has a long road to recovery. We met some time ago and between us were comparing war stories.

It was quite therapeutic for both of us I hope to be swapping stories and identifying with the emotions you go though. He had some very dark moments indeed. I've not had such massive depressions thank goodness. We both thought it was fun about how angry we could now get and how quickly that anger could come out although we were able to control it. Then there was the evil sense of humour and interestingly enough this one:

Neither of us waits to get consensus anymore, we cannot spend time prevaricating, and so we just go ahead and make plans and people can live with them or not, we are not bothered about having to get complete buy in.

Also another was the area of pleasing yourself and blow what anyone else thinks and finally one that we differed on slightly, he felt he was more compassionate and I felt that I perhaps hadn't stopped to consider that but I probably would be, I'd just not put it to the test. My one which he didn't share was the occasional "lump in the throat" especially in well made films or documentaries - as I said earlier, don't let me watch Bambi - I'd be in bits....

It was a very enjoyable lunch and it is great to meet someone who has been through what you have been through and feels the same as you do.

No comments: