Thursday, December 07, 2006

At the risk of repeating myself

I was asked if I was "better" last night. I suppose the answer is yes. I'm better than I was 5 months ago. On Christmas day it will be 5 months since the first operation. I'm better than I was when I had that done. I'm better in terms of all around health and I'm better in other ways too.

It is again one of those difficult questions to answer because you look and feel better but I have no idea if I AM better until April next year. Even then I'm expecting that this is a long term thing. So you have to caveat your answers with a yes and no type response. "Yes I'm better but no I'm not cured" or some such thing. As most people start off a conversation with "How are you?" it can be difficult answering that honestly. "I'm fine" doesn't cut it neither does "I'm getting there". Trying to explain that you are well but you are really (actually) ill and will remain so for a long time is quite difficult to phrase easily.

As I really haven't been in too many social events these past months it should be interesting to see how a number of people react to me on Sunday as I am going to a large Christmas Lunch. I'll see if I can come up with any easy to use responses to "how are you?"

No comments: