Sunday, December 10, 2006

The Trouble With Finding Out More....

Is that you get to read things that you would rather not have done. You get to see people far worse off than you are which cruelly gives you a lift but it is the long term statistics that get you. I am a complete newbie at this - 5 months since my first symptoms. Some people have had this 20 years or more and it is quite common for them to have recurrence of tumours; have a few years clear and then have to go back in again.

It could be that those who don't have this problem, those that have no recurrence just never write into to these online forums (I suppose they don't have a need to). I was also somewhat horrified to find out that CIS (Carcinoma in Situ) which is looked at in other Cancers as quite treatable is in bladder cancer quite treatable but also considered a very aggressive form. If you look at Insurance cover it states that you cannot get a pay out on CIS. So I suppose you also get conflicting information you need to sift out.

The mortality rate for CIS is good and dependant on what you read the treatment I am on now is good in 50 to 80% of cases. I guess the worst bit now is going to be waiting for 3 months to see if it worked.

So what else is wrong with finding out more about your own disease? It makes you a real bore :-) I am out today at a Christmas meal with about 100 or more people, I hope that I don't become a bore doing my "Yes I am feeling well but I won't know until next year", "No I will probably not be cured but they can control this for life for me". Perhaps I'll just go and prop the bar up for a few hours instead!!

No comments: