Friday, March 07, 2008

A move towards a clearer work area

All week I have been throwing out old papers and getting archive boxes filled up with books that I don't plan to be using again. All of my technology books and my PC magazines need to go too. I think that I probably wont renew many of my subscriptions to these, to my many organisations and professional memberships can also be lapse - losing the string of suffixes off the end of my surname.

I also have shelves of software CD-ROMs. It is amazing what software I have picked up over the past 10 or more years. I'm sure that it was a good idea to keep hold of the disks - that is until I see how much space they actually take up. The magazines I regularly cull as they take up too much space within a very short time.

The challenge is whether to throw stuff out or to store it, whether to try and sell it or whether to just dump it. Who knows? Of course, there is so much of it that it takes a while to decide what to do and where to put it. The waste paper man was around this morning and he certainly had a couple of sacks full of shredded paper to deal with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you dont plan to use the books again why are you putting them in boxes??

A Dived Ref said...

True - Bridge Burning I guess. Perhaps leave them in archive for a year and then throw them out or give them to someone. There is a reluctance to let go of things that I've grown up with or used for a long time as part of my job. Part of me says, clean sheet the other says caution.

This way I have the "insurance" that they are in boxes in the Attic. If all goes wrong and I have to go back to doing what I used to do then there they are ready for me again.