Thursday, October 03, 2013

Back to diet and those pesky carbohydrates

This is from the Dr. Mercola website and these are the headlines of the bigger story:

" Story at-a-glance:

  • Two-thirds of Americans are now overweight, and five percent of American children can now be considered “severely obese,” which puts their health at grave risk
  • Carb-rich processed foods are a primary driver of these statistics; while many blame Americans’ overindulgence of processed junk foods on lack of self control, scientists are now starting to reveal the truly addictive nature of such foods
  • The obesity rate among Swedish and Japanese women is between five and six percent, compared to almost 40 percent for American women, suggesting there’s something in the American diet that is different from other affluent nations
  • At the heart of the problem is the issue of toxic food—foods that are heavily processed and purposely designed for maximum “craveability”
  • Nutrition is paramount for health and normal weight; a healthy diet equates to fresh whole, preferably organic foods, and foods that have been minimally processed"
I was watching someone here (UK) making fruit treats for Halloween - and of course fruit is also a cause for concern - in moderation it's fine I guess but the problem still seems to be that everyone is thinking that this obesity epidemic is a "New Disease"" when in fact it is blindingly obvious what it is.  

Have a look (invest an hour) at this video which explains a little more and is from the Diet Doctor Website


The graphs showing the obesity rates in the US in pre 1970s to the current date will shock you.  The main thing about this is it isn't rocket science why we are getting fatter in the West and here I am now 3 1/2 stones lighter, fitter and with most of my clothes too big for me :-)  It's great and of course I don't deny myself the occasional beer or chocolate or bit of fruit but I have got to a nice point now where I'm gradually losing weight still but can have the odd carb every now and then - however, it does require a bit of will power for the first week or so but once you get the hang of a High Fat, Low Carbohydrate lifestyle you really begin to benefit.  First the weight loss is quite remarkable in the beginning and thereafter you just carry on losing weight until (I guess) you get to the weight you "should" be.  I have no target weight now - I had wanted to get down to where I was when I was 19 (11 1/2 Stone) but that's the same loss as I've already had again.  I suppose that's possible but not likely.  

Anyway - invest in the video and then have a read of the Mercola stuff.  Hopefully it should all make sense.

No comments: