Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Went OK But....

When I joined some of the older members were my age or had even retired and where pretty sprightly and now, bless them, like my Father-In-Law feeling and looking their age.  My Father-In-Law called off and felt all of his 92 years and a bit more he said.  Another friend of mine said that he only goes out once a week now as he gets tired out, he's 84.  Another wasn't there, he's 94 and not well in Hospital with Pneumonia.  Another chap, not that old in his 70s I guess is beginning to get a sort of Dementia and is getting forgetful - I had to help him get his Regalia on.  And yet another 3 are walking wounded with leg and hip problems.

My co administrator in the Lodge was admitted to Hospital - he's had 3 lots of Chemo for Upper Tract Cancer and had a setback with a minor collapse sending him to Hospital mind you he can't be much older than me.  

It was a roll call for Emergency Ward 10 rather than a meeting but those who were there made the most of it and those who weren't there we all remembered but it dawned on me that it doesn't need much to decimate our little group and that hey, if I'm spared then in 30 years time (which is how long I've been a Freemason) I could too be having some of these ailments and be struggling to get about.  Mind you I didn't see anyone complaining and they also made the effort to get along which is good.

I know we all get old but it was certainly a sobering reminder.  I do hope I keep as well as I am at the moment - I don't have much in the way to complain about - I'm pretty fit although could be fitter I guess.  

The talk went down well so I was pleased with that and I had a nice walk there and back arriving home before midnight and it was such a pleasant night that I grabbed a glass of Red Wine and sat in the garden looking up at the stars for a short while before retiring. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there, I was checking a few of your posts and had a quick question about your blog. I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance -emilywalsh688 (at) gmail.com- Thanks : )

Emmy