Thursday, October 24, 2013

And Now The Discussion Point

Or not perhaps.  You see it was a long time ago that I spoke about whether there was some sort of plan going on here and well maybe there is and maybe there isn't.

I used to be what I'd call a religious person and when I was younger attended church and groups but after the age of about 20 none of it made any sense to me at all.  

I maintain a belief in a supreme being but I now think that is a oneness and connectedness rather than a "being" a universal oneness perhaps.  That's the best I can describe it as.  Like 'The Force' in Star Wars perhaps?  I think religion simplifies and allegories this oneness to make it explainable to the masses.

It's an interesting subject no doubt but not one worth arguing about but it does run through some of the things that have happened to me.  My attitude is that things happen for a reason or tend to but I don't believe they are planned as such not in a grand plan way.  I mean all that happened to me this year can be explained in logical terms except the meetings and the friendships and that sort of thing.  By that I mean that things happened in such a way that it all worked out for me but it could have been different the timings and the actual people and perhaps the books and programmes I saw etc.  It could have happened faster or slower.  It could still be going on now and when I looked back I could have thought the same as I think now that it was Karma?  

We distort what happens to us to fit sometimes?  Why did I survive cancer?  Well it was spotted early enough to do something about, I did everything I could to recover and changed my lifestyle to assist my treatment.  I wanted to live, I was fit and healthy despite everything else.  I didn't see any grand purpose at all.  In many ways it did do something to me to allow me to explore myself and get to grips with all that was going on.  I was never a paranoid, insecure, depressed person until I got cancer.  It ripped away everything that I'd built up about myself my character my 'Ego' was torn down and I was stripped bare and naked and humiliated in front of my peers.

Well that's what it felt like.  I prayed to be spared but I'm not certain that is where it is at at all.  There are some words that describe "the vital and immortal principle within us all" and it is within us that we need to look for it is there that the answer lies.  In many ways the concepts of state, residence, creed, colour and the like just need to be boiled down and removed, they don't exist except in the mind.  Are you really 'English' or are you the same as everyone else on the planet, made of the same stuff as them and every other thing on the earth, the solar system and the universe?  Take it all back down to basics and tear down the falsehoods of ethnicity, race, creed, nationality and what have you got?  

I like some of the words in Desiderata "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here."  It's part of a greater thing.  I read this yesterday.  "What is life? It is the flash of a Firefly in the night. It is the breath of a Buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset." -- Crowfoot 

That's the simplicity of it all it all comes down to the flash of a Firefly and the breath of a Buffalo, these are the signs that God, whatever you conceive that to be, is inside you and everything else but it isn't a person, it is the message that person brought that the immortal principle is in every cell of your body, every space between the components of the atoms that once they have left your mortal shell will go and become part of something else.  

I found that once I'd grasped that, everything started to fall into place and whether or not the events of the past were Karma or preordained something may have been at work but you just need to accept that it was the way it was, that was the past and that's the way it occurred and if it had been another way the results may have been different but that's it that's what happened.  In retrospect it looks planned because you can see it no other way :-)

So to me it is the connection of the whole system and the connection with every living thing in the universe that is the glue holding it all together.  I keep saying that reading 'A New Earth' will be useful because Eckhart Tolle can actually explain in his words far better than I can and has some far more powerful arguments too.

No comments: