Thursday, October 03, 2013

Exciting Times Ahead (even though I'm meant to stay in the now!)

I had a long chat with my brother who has set up some web sites in the past with shopping trolleys - it was a most useful conversation and sort of backed up what I'd read and thought about doing with my web site.  He has a slightly different business and so has to have a merchant type account and process payments differently but I was interested in what he was doing and how he set his site up.  In many ways, I'd probably go down a path of building my own site rather than having to hire the framework for it but needs must and his huge portfolio of products means he has to have quite a complex site.

I'm getting quite excited about how I can go about running this business - indeed in some ways it is all coming together quite nicely and beginning to feel like it can come off the spreadsheet and word documents and turn into a business.  

Of course - I'm not actually looking at anything other than this being a lifestyle business but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't be planning it properly and ensuring that I have all the angles covered.  I am after all methodical and a project and program manager :-)  But what I am pleased about is that my feet are on the ground, that in some ways I'm not too bothered that it may take me longer to get out the door than I wanted - I'd like it done by the end of this month ready for Christmas but that isn't going to happen with everything else going on but I can make a good start and that is the main thing.  I can then do my market testing and I can take it from there.  I don't need the all singing all dancing website at day one - it can come along when needed.  

This is unlike me I know.  However it is refreshing and it means that I can build this without too much stress and just take it easy with small steps at a time.  I'm really excited by the prospect of the business and all the things I can do and there are opportunities coming along all the time which is just great.

We are still under embargo and it may last another few weeks.  The funny thing is that some people think I'm not my normal self and are worried about me :-)  In fact, I know I'm changed but I thought anyone could tell these days that I'm calmer and trying not to be the old me.  Maybe that is it?  I notice myself pulling back or stopping myself and it is a bit spooky for me to be doing that - where normally I'd be in and hold the audience I tend to make a point, have a laugh and then withdraw a bit and then let someone else take it on.  I find it funny and amusing and interesting that I'm like that.  

Anyway - it's good to be excited, it's good to be happy and smiling at people and helping people out.  

No comments: