Sunday, October 12, 2008

Distraction

I don't think there is a day goes by where I don't think about what I had and where I still go to the toilet and hold my breath in case there are the tell tale signs reappearing. I am constantly considering how I feel and I am constantly reminded that I have had treatment as I cannot find the right words to say. That is a big problem as I do a lot of face to face meetings and searching for the right word is terrible. I know that it will go away in about a month or so but it is really disconcerting.

There can be little more worrying than it coming back or indeed taking on some more sinister complications but it is good to know that I am being regularly monitored and that this next operation will (hopefully) be my last.

Day to day the fatigue and the memory and concentration problems are the constant companions of the disease or rather its aftermath. I'd rather have them and be Cancer free of course. You tend to forget that.

Trying to distract myself or work myself to a standstill kind of works but I'm not certain that working harder rather than smarter is a good long term solution. I turned another phase this week and beat the anger of dealing with a couple of jobsworths and perhaps I can move on a bit now and get past the fatigue and the memory bit.

The trouble is it is such a slow process getting back to normal. Also the play acting that you are alright is OK but when you get back after having been out at work all day and then out in the evening for a meeting and a meal soon catches up with you. Just annoying that the day they say you are clear isn't actually the day you are completely cured and back to the way you used to be :-)

No comments: