Wednesday, October 29, 2008

All life's problems

Are really quite trivial in a way. I mean I was listening to someone putting the worlds to right and telling me how important he was and yet, why was he telling me? I live, alongside 6 to 8 million other people in and around the metropolis and there are another 50 Million of us dotted around the country and so what!?

There are lots of things in this world that you have absolutely no control of whatsoever. No one owes you anything and frankly no one really cares that much when all is said and done. Friends and family are different. I just mean the bloke in the street. The chap that opens his news paper and turns the pages with such velocity that he breaks the sound barrier each time, the arse with a phone that you obviously have to SHOUT into to make it work, the people who push in front or stand in front of you when you've been waiting, the people who haven't worked out what a handkerchief does and sniff and make gurgling noises on the way up to work each day. The guy with 5 elbows or the gawky kid who uses the wrong words to describe every day feelings. These people all live on my planet and I have to interact with them and yet, they don't matter either do they?

Suddenly life isn't about trivial stuff. I'm not saying I know what it is about but I was thinking back to this time last year and the way we were going to bring this fantastic idea to market and it was going to affect 20% of the world's market and then I realised that these people didn't have the intellect to comprehend the scale of what they were saying. Like the Bank of England estimating that the world was £1.5 Trillion Pounds down the drain basically. How many noughts is that? Does it mater a jot? Can YOU do anything about it?

So where is all of this going? I'm not sure - I certainly don't have the answer but I have really struggled with people these past few years. I've had to keep going - it hasn't always been possible to have "service as normal" but I'm relatively happy that I've tried to work normally in between and yet some people whinge about almost anything.

I knew I'd come out of this changed but tolerance (which is actually quite good considering) is not top of the skill set and you may wonder why I never took Diplomacy as a higher education subject! It would be nice, would it not, to find that there was more tolerance, more courtesy and more thinking about other people. I've been brought up like that, I try and be courteous all the time but this new generation of Londoners are certainly trying my patience. I had three people who were determined to keep chatting and occupying all the pavement which would have forced me into the road. Stopping dead in the middle of the pavement and then having to body check one of them was the only option. How difficult would it be for them to work out that other people were also there? I've said enough for today. Tomorrow is going to be a busy old day with all the meetings I have. I hope that at least I will be able to travel home without meeting the obligatory idiot on the train this time.

No comments: