Friday, March 30, 2012

CT Scan - That went OK

30 minutes wait - then they hadn't gotten me to have a pint of water - which I then had.  Get changed into a gown and insert cannula into my arm - not my favourite thing of course.  Into the scanner - easy as you like - hold your arms above your head through the scanner, connect you to the dye that they use to "light you up like a Christmas Tree!"  apparently but then there was a slight problem.  


Did the first set of scans which show up things like Kidney Stones and stuff but they had to give me ml of contrast first and make me wait 10 minutes for it to get through kidneys and into bladder.  Having done that I had to roll about 3 or 4 times - yes full 360 degrees whilst on the flat bed!  This is to coat the bladder.  Then another set of scans.  Then there was another set of scans after they'd put some more contrast in.  On this occasion  I got the side effects - hot flush around the body, metallic taste in mouth and the uncanny feeling that you'd wet yourself.   I have a feeling that this lot of contrast dye was no where near what I had before for the Pyleogram which I was x-rayed for about 20 or 30 minutes overall to show the progress of the dye through my Kidneys and tubes etc.


Anyway - all was over and done with quite quickly - I felt fine so walked to the Cafe and had 2 bacon, 2 sausage, 2 eggs, Mushrooms and Tomatoes washed down with a large black coffee.  Went via the sweet shop and got myself a 100g bag of Wine Gums for cheat day tomorrow.  I see I have cakes and things lined up in the fridge (Yay!)


I needn't have been that worried about it I suppose.  It wasn't that bad but I think the experiences I had with the contrast before were when I was quite ill and so made all the worse.  I suppose at that time I wasn't even sure if they'd caught the cancer early enough and whether I was going to live or die so I doubt I was in  a very good place in my head.

No comments: