Monday, July 22, 2013

Cheat Day

I really hate the day after cheat day - I feel pants this morning and know I've eaten and drank carbs.  To those not on this sort of lifestyle / diet the cheat day allows you to eat those forbidden carbs that you don't touch all week.  To me though the cheat day is taking on a different meaning - it is making me feel rough and for example I feel bloated, I don't feel like eating at all this morning, it messes with your intestines (least said about that the better) and I really don't feel great this morning at all.

Add to that the weight gain just in a day of a few pounds and you can see that it isn't always such a good thing.  I'll lost that weight in a few days but even so, I feel like I need indigestion tablets to settle my stomach and will just take it easy for the rest of today.  

So I'm wondering now whether I just don't have a cheat day anymore and just occasionally break the diet with the odd beer or bit of birthday cake or something like that.  I think it is the quantity I consume all in one day and also my body just isn't used to it at all.

Given that I want to lose even more weight as well I think that the strategy has to be to break the diet on rare occasions and do that a little and not frequently.  

2 comments:

Steve Kelley said...

You may find that a "deep shock" to the system provides better results, thereby not letting your system become too accustomed to high protein and fat. You are correct that this can be achieved by a single meal and not a whole day.

A Dived Ref said...

Hi Steve - I'm sure you are spot on with that. I'm not sure I've quite got the balance right yet. I need to spike my insulin response and maybe a single hit may be the way to do it. I feel the whole day (after breakfast) of thumping in "forbidden carbs" is too much. I like the idea of a single event or meal - I shall try that and see how it pans out. Thanks David