Tuesday, July 09, 2013

If you're not a part of the solution, there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem.

How we laughed when we saw this in my days as a consultant.  There were plenty of these types of jokes going around and yet, as in these things, there's a modicom of truth in them.

I was thinking the other day about the Low Carb, High Fat diet or maybe I should say lifestyle?  It occurred to me that since the 1970s the world has seen a massive increase in obesity and diabetes and other diseases.  Is it that we are living too long?  Is it that we can detect these things better?  Or is it that our diet is wrong?  There's huge Bucks to me made selling heart tablets, Statins, Insulin kits and Insulin, tablets to help with Obesity and everything else but, in reality, if it was down to our diet and people knew that, they'd be yelling from the rooftops that this is the way to go, wouldn't they?

Add to this the cheapness of carbohydrates and their nature to be let's call it addictive shall we?  And now you have two interested classes both vying to feed and cure the masses.  Surely there can be no vested interest here?

All the above is written in my most cynical style because it is just so wrong.  I was in the Post Office earlier today and looked over the shelves, there were the sweets (candy) all lined up - not one thing nutritious in any of it I reckon.  On the grocery side there was bread, milk, cakes, processed foods like pies and the like.  We can go and pick up stuff that we are told is healthy and then be surprised as the weight piles on relentlessly.  It's so annoying to eat what we are told we should, for a "balanced" diet and find out that we still can't lose weight.  In many ways, the vast majority of people are ignorant to the basic facts out there.  

Stick to a low carbohydrate, high fat diet and things start to happen to your body.  After the first week it gets easier.  I've just gone into a slightly more high fat approach and already it is beginning to move my weight off after it having stalled ever so slightly.  Mind you I had 3 cheat days last week!  I'm planning on limiting cheat day to not have so much and also to just have the odd thing - like Strawberries or a beer (liquid bread).  I don't miss carbohydrates at all neither do I miss the 3 1/2 stone that I've lost nor indeed the next 2 or 3 stone after that.  Once you get back into some sort of shape, you find that you feel good, you look good, you are a lot fitter and you can begin, as is my case, to begin to rebuild some confidence and self esteem.


No comments: