Monday, July 15, 2013

What Cost Is Too High

I often wonder what would happen if.......

All my life I've taken the logical solution, the safe bet, the right thing to do, the least expensive option - I've been the average Mr. Middle Class Englishman in everything I do.  Sure I've taken a few chances in recent years but they were calculated and I knew what I was getting into and there wasn't any permanent harm done.

No what I'm thinking here is if something came along, in later life that was just so bonkers so off the wall and an opportunity arose to do something so crazy so silly would I do it?  Stuff like upping sticks, moving to the middle of nowhere, taking up extreme knitting or something I don't know but just something that was so wildly out of character for me would I do it?  I often feel like I've been in a Mid Life Crisis since I was a young guy.  Often I've felt that there is so much I am capable of doing and yet I only operate to a few percent of what I'm really capable of.  

To the 'new' me, the one with less logic and more emotion driving my life forward tells me there's more out there.  An example would be the great day out I had yesterday.  All we did was meet and have a chat and got on famously well.  It was a beautiful summer's day and West London looked it's finest.  There was a cooling breeze, there was pints of fine Youngs Bitter sitting outside at Kew Green and just soaking in the atmosphere, chatting about not much really - then a walk around Kew Green, down to Kew Bridge and the Thames path and walked along that.  People were out enjoying themselves and cycling, walking and just generally enjoying the day.  We wandered back to another pub and had a few more beers and it was just perfect.  It was as if I had gone back twenty or thirty years.  There were no pressures, no time to get back no rush to finish off your beer - just taking it easy.

It's difficult to say you don't get enjoyment from everyday life but when I think of that I wonder why all my leisure time can't be filled with good experiences like that.

And so back to the question I posed at the beginning, if your life could be transformed by something or perhaps something and someone then would you leap from your cosy existence? I don't know the answer but suddenly it's an option.  Would I leave all that this life has for me here and just sling it all away on a whim, a flight of fancy, a change of lifestyle?  It's appealing, very appealing but I'm not entirely sold on it but that's because of what I am I guess.  Oh well, another imponderable to start the week off with.  You know me :-) 

No comments: