Saturday, July 27, 2013

Wide Awake - Never Trust Computers

I am doing some work that involves migrating an email system across from an old to a new Laptop.  My customer has one of the most complex filing systems I have ever seen which when screen shots are made runs to some 17 pages of A4 and more if you take the sub folders into account.

I ran a test where I managed to get the emails off of his machine and onto mine. Everything ran exactly as it should have done and so tested and assured it worked I set to work transferring.  I hadn't banked on a new OS and new Software which somehow screwed up the transfer of a vast majority of the emails.  I did a second check and still the same - files and structures were all broken.  I've therefore spent a long time offloading thousands of emails and their appropriate folder structure to a hard drive and now I am converting them back to way they were...

It is also - now close to 3 am - fair to say that there are other reasons keeping me up at night at the moment and I'll come to those when I can over the weekend.  For the moment, suffice it to say, I'm running on fumes :-) More later

No comments: