Friday, January 17, 2014

To Follow Your Wallet Or Your Heart?

So Flocky asked whether I'd be upset moving out?  So I gave it some more thought as I'd glibly said that I thought I'd be 'a little bit' upset.  

In many ways I see it as turning the corner, opening a new page, a new start.  This is my 'new life' and so in that way it is exciting and of course a little scary too.  It's bound to be a bit scary because for the first time in 32+ years there'll be no Mrs. F.  No children (hardly children anymore) and thats 24 years so that will be a big difference.

I think that I've made the right decision but I could see that there is a wallet versus your heart situation here.  I suppose I could have blagged it out for the rest of my life - I was comfortable enough, I guess I only needed to make the barest of a living and I had the house and a good enough life but as I write this, I know that deep down inside now, it may have lasted a year or two but I'd be back at this decision point again.  Yes writing it down has answered the question.  this happens a lot of course when you are trying to resolve these things in your head.  I have a document that I write to all the time - more than this blog - and it's where I ask and answer these questions.  Am I doing the right things etc?

Of course, the question I posed at the start is important too.  I've halved my wealth and that of Mrs. F. too of course.  It doesn't mean that you are poor of course.  What it does mean is that suddenly, you changed from a large house in a nice area to a smaller place in maybe not such a nice area.  You aren't living where you wanted to live - and I do like this area, always have.  Unlike my parents I've lived in this house 26 years and before then lived in a place we knew we would move from for about 7 years.  I daren't even think how many times my folks have moved in that time :-)  So moving about (and I'm going to do a bit of that I reckon) will be new to me.  I have no idea where I will end up at all.  In my heart I feel it may be further out than here but what will be will be.

I'm following my heart, at last.  Following my previous course was OK but the only person who seemed to be unhappy about that was me!  

I will be disappointed to be going.  Disappointed that it ended up this way but I shouldn't be surprised as I had been paddling upstream for years trying desperately to get everyone to change.  Everyone but me that is :-) I maintained that I believe I did everything right for everyone except myself.  Now is the time to change that and I can imagine for a short while I will be upset - it will be saying goodbye to a life and a lifestyle that I became accustomed to but I wasn't, or don't think I was, ever going to be able to maintain.

Life goes on and change is perhaps the only constant we have.  The thing to do now if to seize the opportunities that lie ahead and not to fall into anymore ruts along the way!  Easier said than done I tarry.  

No comments: