Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Heart Surgeon's Blog

I found THIS very interesting:

"Heart surgeon declares on what really causes heart illness"

When I set out on my dice with Bladder Cancer I had an inkling that food and modern lifestyle was at the root of my problems that along with being an ex-smoker too of course.  The problem is that you still see dietary advice that is way past its sell by date being promoted.  The food industry will tell you that carbohydrates are good for you after all they make up the base of the pyramid of foods that are "good" for us.  But, of course, nothing could be further from the truth as this article sets out.  

I think this article just adds a little bit more to the argument that somewhere along the line we've been fed a load of old tosh about what is and isn't good for us.  I've been lucky in some ways as when I followed the advice and started loading myself with lots of fruit and vegetables it almost gave me diabetes and as luck would have it I was turned from the abyss by my doctor.  It certainly made me go and do some more research.  I'm a little overweight at the moment - Christmas and seemingly a lot of beers have not made losing weight easy but then again I wasn't actually looking to lose weight over this period.  I've started losing it again now and once I've gotten past today I will be back off the booze for a while :-)

I have to say that I'm not sure that fruit is as good as this chap says - modern fruit is so bred to be high in Fructose and this would spike an insulin response.  I think small berries and the like in small quantities are OK but whilst I love fruit, I've cut it out of my diet altogether now - such a shame but then again I feel great these days.  Just a by the by -   I haven't had a cold since February last year when I started on the regime....  In fact I don't think I've had a cold for a couple of years now.  That's not evidence of course just something that I've noticed of late. 

It's interesting that a recent advert on TV is advocating that grains are good for your heart?  100% natural fibre blah blah blah.  We are being told this and it's all supported by "science".  Terrifying - truly it is knowing what we know about carbohydrates - it is outrageous that the can blatantly just state that.    

I'm certainly back on track with my food regime and the excesses of Christmas are behind me.  I'm eating my usual eggs, bacon, mushrooms, livers, mince and basic vegetables, fish etc.  Plenty of butter and cheese too.  My kid brother is doing well - he's now lost around 7 stone since August and another friend of mine has lost 3 kilos in 2 weeks so he's delighted although he could do a little better and he knows it but at least he has the incentive to see it falling off him.

No comments: