Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Ugly Stories

Interesting - I wrote a long long long blog last night and had the wherewithal to save it to draft and not publish it.  I may review it and publish it at a later date - it isn't bad but it is very long and is almost a mandate for the future.

I am doing all sorts of financial stuff today and I've had to set up a new account to pick up that one of my ISAs (A tax free saving vehicle) has just dropped it's interest to less than I get on a taxed (after tax) savings plan!  So as they seem to have shot foot themselves I'm going to move it.  It's a not insignificant sum but what it does do is allows me to access to these funds - we were protecting them but there isn't a vehicle available that paid anything like we needed and so this frees this money up which is very useful for me for the future.  

We are being civilised about this and I want Mrs. F. to know the exact position we are in financially.  It is important when we come to sort out the house and everything else that we know where we are.  I've a need to speculate to accumulate and the investment I am putting in now into the business is a long term investment that I see returning in a year or two but it could be a little bit longer.

You hear of all these really messy convoluted divorces where someone just raids everything and makes off with it.  There's the ugly arguments about money and it is worse when there are children involved too.  I listened to the most distressing case recently where a chap just deserted his wife and kids - left them nothing and wanted 75% of the house and goods!  I think he might find himself struggling with that :-) 

I know it is difficult but I hope that we keep things civilised, like it is now.  It isn't easy for Mrs. F. I can see that - I've stripped her of half of what we had and there's that uncertainty about what life will hold in the future.  I can see that I'm going to be burning capital for the next year or two until we agree what we are going to do with the house and whether we are going for separation or a quicker route to divorce.  Whatever it is - I just hope that it can be done without this reverting to ugly scare type tactics that some people feel is required to further hurt and kill off a relationship.  It isn't necessary and we are injured enough surely.  The need to pour pain down on your ex is hardly a good excuse.  

No comments: