Monday, January 26, 2009

My Yearly Planner

I have actually managed to set up my yearly planner and start to populate it with things that I am "meant" to be doing. I have just realised though that I have a potential problem if my treatment starts in the next week or two with a clash on meeting dates.

As treatment is on a Monday it usually takes Monday and Tuesday for me to recover properly. That means that a meeting on a Tuesday afternoon (and I have one of those) may well be a problem for me. I've asked a friend if he can cover for me.

It is surprising just how many things are happening this year and also how many are going to clash with Mondays and Tuesdays.

February looks busy as does May and as soon as I get back to work I have to do quite a bit of work to get things ready for major meetings coming up in April and June - it sounds a long way off but believe me - it soon rattles around.

I'm rocked back on my planning because I've got to go back onto maintenance and I haven't been thinking things through properly but in a way my cold and deafness hasn't allowed me to. Today seems a good day and I'm in a bit of a quandary as to what to do this year. I had great plans to get myself off and doing things and I find myself wanting to make plans but being reticent about doing so. It comes back to knowing when your treatments are going to happen and then when the operations will be and so on. I know I have 3 BCGs coming. In my view they could start next Monday or the Monday after.

Either way there are a series of issues with trying to plan anything although I know that they can move appointments just look at the routine operation I had before Christmas. - it is now over a month since I had that and I still feel like poo. In fact you could almost say it is 6 weeks due to the disruption of being cancelled. You know if you planned a holiday for a week after biopsies or something like that you wouldn't have confidence (now) that you'd enjoy yourself and to my mind, the major thing I need this year are breaks and holidays to recuperate a bit and recharge myself, I feel really run down and out of it. I need to build myself back up again so that the treatments and operations don't knock me about as much and so I can recover faster.

4 comments:

Steve Kelley said...

Is it possible to do BCGs on Thursday or Friday and have the full weekend to recover? I have chosen Thursday mornings. The worst is over by dinnertime, and I generally work from home a little on Fridays, when meetings rarely happen. And the doc is around on Friday mornings should there be a problem.

A Dived Ref said...

Hi Steve, They only do them on a Monday afternoon here. We go and see the Urology Nurse at an Outpatient clinic it isn't done at the medical centre. The Nurses double up on other clinics so they do BCGs Monday afternoon, a Stoma clinic, Prostate treatments, pre assessment and so on so their timetable is set and we have to fit in :-) Another difference between UK and US. Thursday would be good for me but it is always Monday afternoon in my local Hospital.

andyp said...

Hi David, yes it all seems to happen on Mondays, my first turbt was on a monday, and at last(thanks for advice about chasing them up), i have a date for a check cystoscopie, 9th Feb,got fingers crossed, was graded 1/2-Ta,back in November, ive been a good boy, drunk loads of water, eaten loads of fruit, gots loads fresh air,walked miles, and generaly tried to be really healthy.Ijust wish it was a flexible cystoscopie,oh well.

A Dived Ref said...

Hi Andy. In the UK they seem to want to do scraped out biopsies so with you on the preference for a flexible but I suppose it is what we do here so we have to live with it. Lucky Steve - Flexible Cysto and lives in a great area and has Bass for supper :-)

Good luck on the 9th - I have feeling I'll be having a BCG that day too.