Monday, March 26, 2007

My Friend's Stress Levels

Must be going through the roof. He is due in for a new valve replacement in his Heart and he was put off a day or two after me. We were both meant to be going in on the 19th March. He still hadn't heard when he was going in and was phoning today to see if there was a bed for him.

It must be terribly frustrating for him and I feel for him knowing what I am like and mine is a simple operation without joining the "Zipper Club" He has a serious operation and long recovery and thinking on it and worrying about it cannot be doing him very much good at all.

This is what I find distressing and I was talking to someone else who had gotten all the way down to theatre just to be told that the Operation was cancelled. If that had happened to me I'd probably freak out completely, all the build up to the Op and (I think I've described it before in this blog) the actual moment of being wheeled down on the meat wagon.

It is stressful enough having to go in to Hospital (go on show me someone who likes it?) and to have the stress of ringing up each day at noon to see if they are ready for you. What can that be like - how can you live your life, make commitments and so on?

These things should be the exception given the billions and billions of pounds poured into the Health Service and yet it is the norm - as long as the targets and paperwork are met then it is OK to treat people like this. I probably over simplify the case. I have absolutely no doubt that it is Government intrusion that affects the patients and that given the right circumstances we would have value for money rather than meeting politically set targets that change every time they need to show a statistical improvement. I must stop watching Ben Elton tapes - all getting a little bit political there wasn't it? :-)

No comments: