Thursday, March 15, 2007

Salt

I started looking up about hypertension and whilst I know that most of my BP readings (the ones that I do myself) are prehypertension or normal it helps to think about these sort of things.

I was pretty much horrified at how much salt I have a day. Not from me sprinkiling it on but from the actual food itself. Bread and some cereals being very high and even things like tinned fish (Tuna) and cheese. These are all staples of my diet so I've set myself a mission to see if I can reduce the amount of salt I eat now.

I've already changed my lifestyle to some extent and tend to eat a lot more fruit and veg so this is only extending that. The other thing is to get some of this weight off which - happily I appear to be doing as I fitted into my suit comfortably last night and I didn't three weeks ago so that is something. I now need to ramp up my exercises as well.

2 comments:

Timothy Carter said...

I have to agree with you about the amount of salt in everything. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure in Nov of 2006 and was told to cut down on salt - and it's everywhere! Most of the meals I'd make for myself were full of the stuff. It's been an eye-opener.

Woody said...

I have enjoyed reading your blogs. I went for my three month checkup recently and there was a new, young nurse who brought me into the exam room and was checking my blood pressure. When she said "you BP is a little high", I looked at her and said, "well, I'm a little anxious about the Doctor putting a camera inside of my bladder." She turned bright red and left the room while my wife and I had a good chuckle......