Friday, March 16, 2007

Yee Gods - Salt again

I've been through the cupboard and fridge checking out the amount of salt / Sodium in foods.

What a shock. My healthy tomato juice, baked beans, sardines, cheese, marmite (you don't want to know - no really), soup, cook in sauces and so on. Just go and look for yourself. Remember that the recommended daily allowance is about 6g for adults and 3g for children and then add it together it will shock you quite how much of this stuff you eat.

Check your bread, your bread spread and then what you put in it like Ham or Cheese and you will be amazed. I was. I reckon on most days I would have gone over 6g by lunchtime just on cereals and sandwiches.

So far today has gone quite well. I've managed to not have any coffee and I've kept my salt intake down to about 2g so far. Evening meal is yet to come and so I'll probably double that but, it is probably fair to say that for the first time in years my salt intake will be lower than the 6g recommended.

It is a concern that this is normal in most of the everyday foodstuffs we have lying around the house.

No comments: