Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Prostate

I was annoyed when I heard Hugh Grant saying on Top Gear how much his DRE Prostate examination hurt him. Thanks Hugh, how many people have you put off getting checked? Actually, it doesn't hurt and so it may be a little disturbing or slightly embarrassing to have done but as Prostate Cancer is overtaking Lung Cancer to be the most commonly diagnosed cancer in men in the UK perhaps it would have made sense for him to have thought about the cheap laughs and actually got it home that 10,000 men in the UK die of Prostate Cancer each year - that is one an hour. 32,000 are diagnosed with it.

The good news is that on diagnosis they can do something about it and if you are under treatment you are more likely not to die of this at all.

Cancer isn't funny and men are notoriously bad patients and don't go and get checked - the last thing they need is someone telling them how bad it is when it isn't and it may well save your life. There is always the PSA blood test as well so it just annoys me that for the want of a bit of education people could be diagnosed and treated.

More information is available here

Don;t put stuff off like this - Whilst it took me a few days to convince myself I wasn't well, the best thing I ever did was to get to see the doctor fast.

No comments: