Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Another person I know with Lung Cancer

I heard tonight that someone else I know has lung cancer. That is three in as many years and two this year alone.

I wonder whether it is an "age" thing - I remember being told that you know you are getting old when your friends and acquaintances start dying.

It could be that I am getting to that age where my peer group are beginning to get cancer, serious illness and dying. Not trying to put too much of a downer on proceedings you understand. I think there is also a fair amount of being sensitive to people with cancer. There is a"not just me then" attitude. Also and perhaps a it more disturbing is ranking your cancer and severity against them. It is only natural to compare and I keep coming up with an answer that mine isn't as serious as theirs. However, it probably is, it is just (thankfully) I am not on chemotherapy, I haven't lost my hair and (hopefully) things are getting under control.

I'm meeting up with the person I now know has bladder cancer and who is on maintenance therapy - he will have completed his latest course and so I can see how he got on. He did have a very bad turn with the BCG once. Far worse than the turn I had. However, he is three or four years on from his original diagnosis which I remember being quite something. I knew it was cancer but not how bad it was. So that will be tomorrow - or in fact looking at the time later today.

Right - must dash - better get some sleep.

No comments: