Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Dream Time revisited

It can be quite a shock waking up these days to find that actually you aren't just coming to in your hospital bed but you are actually at home. The dreams are all about the hospital but not on anything specific at the moment. Mostly this is reliving things and complaining about blunt cannulas and replaying different scenarios of the outcome. The Surgeon comes over and says hello but that is it. They smile at me and it looks good news. However path results take a couple of weeks so it isn't going to be over the day after the Op.

Perhaps the dream will pick up a bit in intensity nearer the time. Despite knowing what awaits me my mind is still occasionally running wild about it.

This time, as I understand it, they will knock me out and will take a series of biopsies around the bladder. Last time they were going to do this but actually re-re sectioned and resected another area and did some retrogrades and then took biopsies as well!

These biopsies will be around the original area of the tumour and also at intervals around the bladder. These are then mounted in a wax substance and thinly sliced and examined under a microscope. They can then determine what affect the BCG has had and what the next steps may be.

Best case is that I get to go on to maintenance therapy and get 6 monthly hits and 3 weeks a time (I believe). At 6 months afterwards a flexible cystoscopy and if all looks OK then another 3 lots of BCG and so on gradually the intervals increase but the dosage I believe stays the same.

The more often you have these BCGs apparently the more severe the reaction can get and some people don't finish the course. I really haven't had such a severe reaction that I'd have wanted to give up the course but I did get a seriously bad reaction to one that shook me and I can imagine if I had had a series of those I might have thought differently.

No comments: